Friday, September 10, 2010

Kids In The Kitchen

Who is looking forward to Junior MasterChef?
We are.
But seriously, have you seen the ads? I mean are these kids for real?
Bless their little hearts, I mean that in the nicest possible way. As in how do children even want to eat spatchcock, let alone make it? How do they know how to temper chocolate or encrust a piece of chicken with macadamia nuts? (Hell, some of us trouble just spelling macadamia ...LOL).
My kids love to cook, but it's more about helping out in the kitchen, and baking traditional kiddie fare, like pikelets, scones, chocolate crackles, honey joys, muffins and biscuits.
They both do a great breakfast - Mr 9 whips up fantastic omelettes, fluffy and filled with whatever we have in the fridge or freezer. It may be cheese and ham one day; mushrooms, tomatoes and onion the next.
This morning, Miss 7 woke up early. (Of course she did ... it's a Saturday. On school days I'm flat out gently prodding her out of bed!).
And she had an appetite for eggs - scrambie eggs. (Scrambled to the grown-ups).
She did it all herself, cracking eggs, whisking, pouring, and stirring to her heart's content. I just supervised to ensure she didn't burn herself or set fire to anything!
And yes, she even 'plated it up' herself.
I have to say that perhaps they were the nicest scrambie eggs I've ever tasted. The only improvement would have been a coffee accompaniment. And both Mr 9 and Miss 7 can make a perfect Nespresso skim milk cappacino, but, sob, I am out of the pods, and on my Single Mum Budget I currently can't afford to order in any more.
And before you suggest instant coffee, I remind you that Nespresso has turned me into a coffee snob. I would rather have No Coffee than a Bad Coffee or Instant Coffee. But feel free to suggest decent coffees if the mood takes you.
In the meantime, H. shares her recipe for scrambled eggs.

Scrambie Eggs for Two *
Crack 4 or 5 free range eggs into a bowl. I like free range eggs because the chickens have been happy and free, and not made to live in yucky cages. And their egg yolks are really orange.
Add a little skim milk - we hate the taste of full-fat milk, but you could use full-fat milk or even cream if you like it.
Whisk with a whisker! This is fun.
Melt butter in a pan, and pour in the eggs.
Stir so that they don't burn but become nice and moist and yellow. I use a shoveller (that's fun too). **
Put some toast on while you're waiting for the eggs to be perfect.
Smear toast with a little butter or margarine, then put the eggs on top.
I like mine with tomato sauce, Mum likes hers with a little salt. You can also put grated cheese on top.
Enjoy!

* Mum's note:  Big Brother was still snoring.
** Mum's note: shoveller = spatula.

Cooking the eggs with 'the shoveller'

The finished product: Scrambled eggs on slightly-buttered toast

The chef prefers hers with a little tomato sauce!

Junior MasterChef starts on Channel 10 this Sunday at 7.30 pm
Photobucket

5 comments:

Ms_MotorbikeNut said...

Last weekend & the weekend before we had scrambled eggs for breakfast.

It's an easy & simple dish to make, can she come make some for us next weekend?

No better still we need to meet up in a park some where & have a BBQ then both Miss 7 & Mr 9 can make something for the BBQ for after the main meal

Unknown said...

Sounds great! Maybe next weekend we both have the rugrats ...

MrsKT said...

Hi

I have just come across your blog through Katrina Chambers. I look forward to following it. I am a MC fan and can't wait for the Junior MC to begin.

Not sure that I would let my children participate in the show but look forward to seeing what it is like.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Katena

Jack McClane said...

Too cute!

I'm looking forward to Junior Masterchef. I might learn something.

Unknown said...

Thanks for visiting Katena, nice to meet you. And welcome back Jack. I've tried to comment on your last post but dont think it worked!